Data Specialist – Retail Program
Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples’ lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.
We are a national, nonprofit organization and the nation’s leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, our mission is to feed America’s hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.
The Data Specialist will indirectly support the continued growth of the retail store donation program (currently over $ 1B pounds annually) by developing and implementing processes to collect, manage, mine and analyze retail store donation program data; Develop insights and recommends strategies to drive incremental value through the retail channel.
· Supports the continued growth of the retail store donation program by managing program data and statistics that are disseminated to donors, food banks and internally within Feeding America.
· Reviews and analyzes general industry and internal data to identify new opportunities for retail program growth and expansion.
· Supports the development of the retail program strategy through data management and analysis. Strategy to focus on: a) identifying areas of program underperformance, b) identifying major opportunities for new growth, and c) creating insight as to how to capture incremental value from both scenarios.
· Identifies processes to more effectively collect, store, and mine retail program data.
· Develops and manages communications on program performance to key donors on monthly basis (including store level program reporting, key exceptions, areas for intervention, etc.).
· Works with food bank members to increase accuracy and timeliness of retail program data reporting through recurring communication on performance, scorecard development, issue troubleshooting, and reporting tool generation / upgrades.
· Generates quarterly updates for senior level audiences (both internal and external) on performance of program.
· BA/BS required; focus on statistics and/or research desirable
· 2+ years’ experience in developing quantitative models and working with large data sets, preferably in a research-based environment.
· 2+ years’ experience working with databases and manipulation of data. Experience structuring and driving strategic initiatives strongly preferred.
· Experience in food retail industry preferred.
· Experience extracting data from databases and writing reports based on results to meet business requirements.
· Strong analytical skills.
· Experience with food security or food waste issues preferred.
· Excellent presentation skills, in addition to oral and written communication skills.
· Ability to think creatively and strategically as part of a team and within broad coalitions.
· Strong acumen in MS Office applications, particularly Access, Excel and PowerPoint.
· Committed to organizational mission of ending hunger.