Blog Archives

RBI permit banks to reckon Govt securities held up to another 2 % of NDTL under FALLCR

It has been decided to permit banks, with effect from the date of this circular, to reckon Government securities held by them up to another 2 per cent of their NDTL, under FALLCR within the mandatory SLR requirement, as Level 1 HQLA for the purpose of computing their LCR. Hence, the carve-out from SLR, under FALLCR will now be 11 per cent, taking the total carve out from SLR available to banks to 13 per cent of their NDTL.

RBI grant banks option to spread provisioning for MTM losses on all investments held in AFS and HFT

In view of the continuing rise in the yields on Government Securities, as also the inadequacy of time to build investment fluctuation reserve (IFR) for many banks, it has been decided to grant banks the option to spread provisioning for their mark to market (MTM) losses on all investments held in AFS and HFT for the quarter ending June 30, 2018 as well. The provisioning required may be spread equally over up to four quarters, commencing with the quarter ending June 30, 2018.

Transition path to adopt Regulations for Investment by FPI in Debts

Attention of Authorised Dealer Category-I (AD Category-I) banks is invited to Schedule 5 to the Foreign Exchange Management (Transfer or Issue of Security by a Person Resident outside India) Regulations, 2017 notified vide Notification No. FEMA.20(R)/2017-RB dated November 07, 2017, as amended from time to time and the relevant directions issued thereunder.

Interest Rate Options (Reserve Bank) Directions, 2018

Please refer to FMRD circular FMRD.DIRD.12/14.01.011/2016-17 dated December 29, 2016 on introduction of Interest Rate Options in India. As announced in the first bi-monthly Monetary Policy Statement 2018-19 dated April 05, 2018, it has now been decided to permit Interest Rate Swaptions in Rupees so as to enable better timing flexibility for the market participants seeking to hedge their interest rate risk.

RBI releases draft guidelines on Loan System for Delivery of Bank Credit

The Reserve Bank of India today released draft guidelines on loan system for delivery of bank credit which stipulate a minimum level of 'loan component' in fund based working capital finance and a mandatory Credit Conversion Factor (CCF) for the undrawn portion of cash credit/ overdraft limits availed by large borrowers, with a view to enhancing credit discipline among large borrowers.

Investment in the units of InvIT by sponsor CIC-NDSI

In order to enable Systemically Important Core Investment Companies (CIC-NDSI) to act as a sponsor of InvITs, it has been decided to permit CIC-NDSIs to hold InvIT units only as a sponsor. Exposure of such CICs towards InvITs shall be limited to their holdings as sponsors and shall not, at any point in time, exceed the minimum holding of units and tenor prescribed in this regard by SEBI (Infrastructure Investment Trusts) Regulations, 2014.

Second Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Statement, 2018-19-Policy Rates increased by 25 basis points

The decision of the MPC is consistent with the neutral stance of monetary policy in consonance with the objective of achieving the medium-term target for consumer price index (CPI) inflation of 4 per cent within a band of +/- 2 per cent, while supporting growth. The main considerations underlying the decision are set out in the statement below.

Revised guidelines on lending to Priority Sector for Primary UCBs

Please refer to our circular UBD.CO.BPD.(PCB).MC.No.18/09.09.001/2013-14 dated October 8, 2013 on the captioned subject and amendments thereto from time to time, consolidated in Master Circular DCBR.BPD.(PCB).MC.No:11/09.09.001/2015-16 dated July 1, 2015. The existing guidelines have been reviewed and it has been decided to issue revised guidelines (as per Annex-I) in supersession of the guidelines in the above-mentioned Master Circular.

Investment by Foreign Portfolio Investors (FPI) in Debt – Review

While the FPIs are only permitted to invest in corporate bonds with minimum residual maturity of above one year, in order to bring consistency across debt categories, it is stipulated that investments by an FPI in corporate bonds with residual maturity below one year shall not exceed, at any point in time, 20% of the total investment of that FPI in corporate bonds.

Changes affecting operational aspects of FPI investments in debt

In terms of AP (DIR Series) Circular No. 22 dated April 6, 2018, the revised framework for Foreign Portfolio Investors (FPI) in debt was announced. It was further stated that a separate notification would be issued announcing other changes affecting operational aspects of FPI investments in debt, in consultation with SEBI.