Students from the Walker Junior High School in LA Palma, CA, will tackle healthy eating on Friday, Oct. 17 when they put 10 produce-centric recipes to the test at the fourth annual PMA Fresh Summit Sensory Experience Contest. The contest, sponsored by Bolthouse Farms and supported by Disney Consumer Products, features the top 10 recipes submitted by exhibitors that will be judged by the students and 15 key buyers, including Delhaize America, Pro*Act and SuperValu.
“Inspiring children to eat more fresh produce can take many shapes,” Todd Putman, chief commercial officer for Bolthouse Farms, said in a press release. “Whether it’s traditional marketing like the ‘eat brighter!’ movement, or through engagement in contests like this one, it’s our responsibility as an industry to engage tomorrow’s leaders in efforts that lead to a healthier lifestyle.”
“Disney continues to be a leader in inspiring kids and families to eat more nutritious food and live a more active lifestyle, and it’s truly rewarding to see our efforts create real change,” John T. King, vice president of licensing for Disney-branded consumables, added in the release. “It’s exciting to see the kids’ reactions, and we celebrate the industry for creating both inventive and healthy recipes.”
More than 55 produce-centric, kid-friendly recipes were submitted. The top 10 recipes, selected by the buyer judges, will be featured onsite during the Sensory Experience Contest, where the judges, buyers and kids, will place their votes for “Buyers’ Choice” and “Kids’ Choice.” The top 10 recipes can be sampled at the Fresh Ideas in Action Reception at 4 p.m. in Room 303AD of the Anaheim Convention Center. Winners of the Buyers’ Choice and Kids’ Choice awards will be highlighted during the reception and in the Innovation @ Work area located in Lobby B/C of the convention center.
Finalists and recipes are:
- Alsum Farms & Produce Inc.: Rainbow Potato Pancakes
- Ball Design: Fresh Fruit Nachos with Honey Yogurt Drizzle
- Church Bros. LLC: Rainbow Kale Tostada
- Giorgio Fresh Co.: Mushroom Sauce Pizza with Mozzarella & Cheddar Cheese
- Green Giant Fresh: Cauliflower & Avocado Croquettes with Honey Dijon & Avocado Aioli
- Mucci Farms: Cool Summer Treats Made with CUTECUMBERS
- Sage Fruit Co.: Skinny Breakfast Apple Turnovers
- Sunkist: Sunkist Orange Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Wholesum Family Farms: Wholesum Harvest Eggplant Vegetable Balls with Roma Tomato Sauce
- Wish Farms: Wish Farms Strawberry Blueberry Hazelnut Chocolate Flatbread