Twitter Reacts to Trump’s Speech to Farmers and Ranchers
President Trump spoke to a crowd of farmers and ranchers on Monday at American Farm Bureau’s convention in Nashville, Tennessee. Agricultural producers and business people took to Twitter to react.
1. President Trump tweeted his excitement in anticipation of his speech to American Farm Bureau members on Monday.
Can’t wait to be back in the amazing state of Tennessee to address the 99th American @FarmBureau Federation’s Annual Convention in Nashville! #AFBF18— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 8, 2018
On my way now - join me LIVE at 4:00pmE: https://t.co/QaljAqekdD. pic.twitter.com/Wm7Io0hYT8
2. The feeling was mutual. Approximately 4,500 convention attendees started navigating security lines at 6 a.m. to hear the president’s afternoon speech.
3. Thousands more across the country tuned in to watch live coverage of Trump’s speech.
Loved watching the coverage of @realDonaldTrump at #AFBF18 ! Thank you for recognizing our farmers and rural Americans! I'm optimistic that you and your administration will continue to look out for us!— Micaela Wright (@micaelagrace13) January 9, 2018
4. President Trump is the first sitting president in more than 25 years to address the American Farm Bureau membership. Many attendees took to Twitter to express their thankfulness for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
Enjoyed attending @FarmBureau annual convention in Nashville and listening to @POTUS (@realDonaldTrump), @SecretarySonny, @ZippyDuvall, etc address #AFBF18 attendees! Special thanks to @OhioFarmBureau for opportunity! pic.twitter.com/0r9HdRwCWj— Kelly Fager (@KellyFager) January 9, 2018
5. President Trump assured farmers and ranchers they are not forgotten.
6. The president touched on a variety of topics important to rural Americans in his 35-minute address.
Most family farms will be "spared the punishment of the deeply unfair estate tax known as the death tax" so you can keep your farms in the family, says @realDonaldTrump at #AFBF18. https://t.co/zEA1LKxNej— Successful Farming (@SuccessfulFarm) January 8, 2018
"I'm truly proud to report that within our first 11 months, my administration has canceled or delayed over 1,500 planned regulatory actions or assaults," says @realDonaldTrump to the #AFBF18 crowd gathered in Tennessee. WATCH: https://t.co/zEA1LKxNej— Successful Farming (@SuccessfulFarm) January 8, 2018
7. Some producers were disappointed President Trump didn’t address their biggest concerns.
8. Several members of Congress acknowledged Trump’s commitment to rural America and thanked him for taking the time to attend the convention.
Farmers and ranchers are the lifeblood of our rural communities and backbone of our country. It’s refreshing to see a president take such personal interest in the rural American constituency. #AFBF18 https://t.co/uqxWBp84ob— Pat Roberts (@SenPatRoberts) January 8, 2018
I applaud @POTUS for his speech to @FarmBureau today showing his commitment to the agricultural industry and building on the work his administration has done over the last 12 months to uphold his promise to farmers across the country. #AFBF18 #ncaghttps://t.co/oj9d6GX1Wb— Senator Thom Tillis (@SenThomTillis) January 8, 2018
I will continue working with @POTUS to help hardworking farmers & ranchers in rural America. I’ve long supported improvements to rural broadband, and I’m pleased to see the administration’s support of this goal as well changes to the #FarmBill and less regulation. #AFBF18— Senator John Boozman (@JohnBoozman) January 8, 2018
Encouraged to hear @POTUS highlight initiatives to help rural communities in #NC08 @FarmBureau Convention: expanding access to health care & internet, improving workforce/econ development, & modernizing how we farm. I look forward to working towards these shared goals. #AFBF18— Richard Hudson (@RepRichHudson) January 8, 2018
9. Some people tweeted directly at the president, thanking him for supporting their rural communities.
10. President Trump tweeted, “We have been working every day to DELIVER for America’s farmers just as they work every day to deliver FOR US.”
11. A transcribed copy of the president’s address from the White House is circulating on Twitter.
12. To conclude his speech, President Trump signed two executive orders to increase access to broadband in rural areas. Ray Starling, special assistant to the president for ag and trade, explained the details to North Carolina Farm Bureau.
Special Asst to the @POTUS for Ag & Trade, Ray Starling, talks about one of the signed executive orders dealing with increasing broadband access to rural areas. #AFBF18 #NCFarmBureau pic.twitter.com/13PgTDAN2x— NC Farm Bureau (@NCFarmBureau) January 9, 2018